Saturday, October 31, 2009

What ELSE could this be? Severe cramping right side!?

I am 8 weeks pregnant with my 5th child. A few days ago I wound up in the ER with severe cramping on the lower right side. Because I've already had my appendix taken out and the pain was low and not high (like a gall bladder) everyone, including myself thought it was a tubal pregnancy but upon doing an ultrasound in the hospital, the baby was in the uterus, and not even a cyst on that ovary so no problems there. The other obvious possibility was a kidney stone but I had no blood in my urine. They sent me home with pain killers and anti-nausea medication (for the morning sickness) and after a couple of days of resting on my left side, the pain went away. Surely it wasn't just gas, to last two whole days. This pain was SEVERE, like my insides were going to explode, I couldn't stand or talk through it. No vomiting, no diarrhea. Any other possibilities? Hernia? Aneurysm? No bleeding either, the pregnancy is fine.
Answer:
Some kidney stones don't show up on ultrasounds, most of them do show up on x-rays {I guess you weren't ordered x-rays because of your early pregnancy}. Absence of blood in your urine isn't a sure way to discard a kidney stone diagnosis, either. If this pain was worse than labor contractions, and according to the location, duration and intensity, I'm almost sure you passed a kidney stone. I gave birth to my daughter by vaginal forceps delivery without anesthesia, and I've passed about a dozen kidney stones. I can tell you for sure, kidney stones hurt WAY MORE than giving birth, sweetheart! Hope that everything's fine with your pregnancy, and don't hesitate to return to the ER immediately if you experience this pain again.
U may want to check ur kidneys because that was how I was when I found out about having what U call a Horse Shoe(U) kidney.
I had that same problem while pregnant with my 3rd child. The doctor told me that it was just ligaments and muscles stretching to make room for the baby.
Keep in touch with your OB/Gyn and let them know (frequently) that you're having these pains.

That said, some of us just have very painful pregnancies. It's not always that wonderful glowing thing we've always heard about. Pregnancy is full of round ligament pain, things stretching, bones loosening, all sorts of weird feelings. And don't get me started on the hormones and mood swings!

I've had two babies, and that's enough for me! I got my tubes tied with this last one (he's six months old now).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net