Sunday, October 25, 2009

What do you think?

I have been taking Cipro for a UTI and every time I take it it gives me a headache. I dont know if I should stop taking it or not. It says that is one of the side effects. What do you think?
Answer:
keep taking it and take an Ibuprofen for your headache if it is really bad then talk to your doc. it probably is a mild reaction from the meds. but don't stop taking them w/o going on something else because then you are going to need an even stronger antibiotic for a more resistant infection and then you'll also need something for a yeast infection because of the stronger meds.
I wouldn't suggest stopping it without talking to your doctor first. An untreated UTI will likely just get worse. If it's one of the side effects, you might just have to deal with it. If it's a really bad headache and won't be helped with a pain reliever, call your doctor and get his/her opinion.
I think you should call your doctor and have your med changed to something else- there are many different medications to treat UTI. You could have an adverse reaction (which is much like an allergy, only isn't life threatening) to Cipro and shouldn't be taking it. Although headache is a side effect of the med, it doesn't mean you should have to deal with it. Just call and I am positive they will switch you to something else. But make a note for future situations that if Cipro is mentioned for treament-ask for an alternative.

I work as a nurse in a clinic-we get calls about meds causing bad side effects all the time and we just call something different in for those patients who have problems with side effects.
If the headaches are enough to bare with I say keep taking the medicine because it's doing you a lot more good than damage. If it gets to the point where the headaches get unbearable talk to your doctor about switching medications.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net