Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What food can i eat to help my anemia?

I'm 16, a vegitarian (no seafood, no red meat, no chicken, no pultry) and I'm mildly anemic, and I don't really know what food to eat to make me better. I know that spiniach helps because it's got a lot of iron, but I dunno how to make meals and stuff with lots of iron. I don't like taking suppliments because I can figure out a way to fix it with food by myself.
Answer:
Eat more food containing Vitamin C. Vitamin C enhances the absorption of iron into your body. This is very helpful if you are a vegetarian. Vegetarians consume less iron because they obtain it from plant sources. Some plants contain chemicals that bind the iron rendering it more easily absorbed. You can also counteract this being eating foods high in calcium with it (calcium binds the chemicals, making iron more easily absorbed into the Blood) You can still obtain iron from vegetables. Foods such as beans, whole grains, spinach, and dried fruits have a significant amount of iron.

Eat a lot of iron rich cereal. Many cereals are fortified with iron. Check the food label on the box and look for iron under the daily values.

You should also avoid drinking tea with your meals that are high in iron. Tea contains tannin that could inhibit the absorption of iron.
cereals are enriched with iron. KIX is a good one. B12 shots from your doctor.
I just googled a site for you for a list of "iron rich foods".

http://www.bloodbook.com/iron-foods.html...

If your iron levels become alot lower, consider getting prescription pills to help you. My mom had very low iron and food often wasn't/isn't enough to build it back up. It takes longer to digest and break it down from a food form, and foods don't contain the types of doses someone needs when their iron is very low. My mom had to get 2 blood transfusions from losing blood (she had severe menstral issues) and thus losing lots of iron. Be careful and do your research. If it's mildly low for now, monitor yourself or have your doctor check you often.
First of all, there are many types of anemia [see first website below]. Is your anemia iron-related? Has it been diagnosed by blood test or are you going by symptoms?

If you just generally want to make sure you're getting enough iron, most women only need an intake of about 18 mg daily, a bit more if pregnant. A baked potato, skin on, has 4 mg [see second website below]. A 6 inch slice of watermelon has 3 mg. 1 cup of raisin bran cereal has 6.3 mg. 1 Tbsp of blackstrap molasses has 3 mg. A 6 inch whole wheat pita has 1.9 mg. There's your 18 mg; easy peasy!

Eat more breads, fruits, breakfast cereals, vegetable, legumes (beans), nuts and eggs. Along with these, eat fruits that are rich in vitamin C (such as kiwi), which will maximize the amount of iron that you can digest out of your food.
peanut butter, raisins, iron-enriched foods. That's what my doctor had me eat during my pregnancy due to anemia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net